Thursday, November 11, 2010

Pepero Day!

Happy Pepero Day! Today we will be having a short lesson on Korean holidays. Today happens to be one, although Pepero Day carries the same weight as Valentines in the US and it is not a national holiday. Pepero Day is devoted to a specific style of cookie that is popular in several Asian countries. You may or may not be familiar with it; in the US you can find its Japanese equivalent “Pocky” at Wal-Mart. I find these cookies to be awesomely delicious and affordable, I have long been a Pocky fan.

The reason today is Pepero Day is due to the fact that November 11 is written 11/11; a date which appears to be in the form of the tasty cookie (although when I was in junior high 11/11 was another “day”). Of course in the states it is Veterans Day. US honors Soldiers, Korea honors cookies…I am going to have to go with cookies on this one – and yes I know that statement is going to get me in trouble with some of you but what can I say? Have you heard me talk about pacifism? I am a lover (eater) not a fighter

Now I know you are super curious about other Korean holidays now that you have heard about Pepero day. Koreans celebrate a holiday called Chuseok – very similar to our thanksgiving – in October, it is a three-day event that closes schools for the week and families make a pilgrimage to their historical homes. During this time Korea Nazarene University was a Ghost town as was much of Cheonan City. The pictures I have seen (and included for you) are of glorious feasts that remind me of our own love of smorgasbords during the holidays.

Now Christmas has not yet arrived but I was surprised to find out, as no doubt you will be too, that it is not the family holiday of gifts and trees we are familiar with, but rather a couple’s holiday. Don’t get me wrong, Christmas music and Santa are still here but you are much more likely to see people going out on a date than going home to mom and dad. I guess you could say it’s more of a “Baby its Cold Outside” sort of day than it is a “Frosty the Snowman” sort. 

Another holiday I recently heard about is Black and White day. Black day is a holiday where girls give their boyfriends gifts and White Day, which takes place thirty days later, is when the boyfriends reciprocate. Interesting to me, no excuse for crappy gifts when you get a whole month to plan, plus you can buy accordingly. It is always awkward when your girlfriend gets you a 300-dollar watch and you get her flowers!

And of course Koreans celebrate birthdays much in the way we do...with cake - I had to mention this so i could have some sort of segue for this picture of one of my co-workers birthday cakes.


Korean holidays! Another one of those little differences you find out about as you go. Just some interesting info I found out and thought it would be fun to share. Of course this may not all be entirely accurate as much of this info was procured from my Australian co-worker, although he is married to a Korean so he should be aware of such things. Until next time! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment