Friday, December 3, 2010

Thanksgiving on Three Continents

As the Holidays approached I was finding myself a little more home sick than usual, something that is rather hard for me to admit because I pride myself on my ability to be independent. To distract myself I volunteered for my favorite Thanksgiving job: cooking! This year provided the usual stresses and joys as well as many unforeseen hurdles that come when two cultures try and coexist. While preparing my recipes and shopping I found myself reminiscing about Thanksgivings past and realized that I have been on a different continent for Thanksgiving every year for the past three years, something that I assume is rather unusual for most. Not only have I been in three different continents, but every time I have been with entirely different people in entirely different cultures. All of these are so unique but also very comparable.


2008 - Mukono, Uganda
Watching "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving"
Uganda was such an emotional and trying experience that was full of change, learning and unlearning. Now that I think about it I realize that I have not really written much about my experience there which is surprising. Almost everything I am today as a human being came out of Africa. I expected to come away from Uganda with a better understanding of how people in third world country live.  I expected to reaffirm my view of the world and the goals of my life. What I did not expect was to find that my values, goals, and understanding of God would change completely. I had my entire life all planned out, I knew exactly where I wanted to go and how I was going to get there. I have never viewed the people outside of those that I know with any sort of conviction for what they may be going through nor have I ever seen most of the  the world as more than statistics. Africa changed me entirely and about the time Thanksgiving rolled around I was exhausted from the roller coaster ride my spirit was constantly on. 

Our attempt at football
Thanksgiving was unlike any I had ever experienced. We played a giant game of football and as I recall I remember either sending a gaming winning pass or receiving one (either of these being a rare occurrence). Following that we had the largest and most extravagant meal I have ever been apart of for Thanksgiving. Everything you could imagine was there, and this was a huge deal because many of these dishes like stuffing and turkey had not really been seen while we where in Africa. About 50 foreigners and 50 Africans joined together for this intense buffet that included a smorgasbord of desserts followed by a screening of "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" that was viewed on a bed sheet tied between to trees. All of this took place outside with the familiar smells of the holiday mingling with the scent I had come to know as the scent of Africa. By the time we shared this meal we were not strangers or students, we were friends.


2009 - Grangeville, Idaho
Taylor, Lacey, Me and the Readons on their front porch
Back in the states for this one. This time I was with old friends spending thanksgiving with a family - the first time in 4 years - the Reardon family in Northern Idaho. This was just one big laugh the whole time with singing, walks and endless food all weekend long. I cannot remember the last time I was fed so much. Miriam Reardon's, actually it's Miriam Clark now, mother would bring out a snack and as we finished she would bring another, than another. We had more food the day before and the day after Thanksgiving than we had on the day itself! It was a conveyer belt of treats! This was such a warm and traditional big family style day that I had not been apart of since I was a little kid. I think it was the most fun I have ever had with my sister and my best friend (Miss Lacey Smith) at the same time.  I remember feeling like I was in a family and didn't have to worry about a thing, I felt like a carefree kid again who was just along for the ride.  I think it is one of my fondest memories from my College days. I love and adore the Reardons! 


2010 - Cheonan, South Korea
The 24 pounder! and Go SEAHAWKS!
South Korea has been a bit of a challenge for me, as I mentioned, but this year's Thanksgiving was on par with the past two in terms of fun, fellowship, and learning. This year I was once again able to put on my Chef hat and go to town. We were fortunate enough to be given the use of a mega-church's industrial kitchen, it was like a dream for me, a kitchen that was able to perfectly cook our 24 pound turkey ($90) in just three hours. The day started a bit bumpy when I got up at 8, expecting to begin cooking at 9, only to find out that we couldn't start until 11:30 and upon arrival we had to share the kitchen with a church kitchen staff of 15. After these initial shocks, I kicked it into high gear and was able to produce: Turkey, that I really didn't eat a thing until leftovers, but I was satisfied with the results. I have never cooked for so many people or made so many dishes in three hours. We followed up the smorgasbord with football, which made my day. 

The Meal!

This year I have been reflecting on the past and all of the amazing opportunities that I have been given at such a young age. My family is all over the world and I miss you guys so much but each year this family seems to grow.  I pray that I continue to have these traveling opportunities and that someday I will be able to use the lessons learned in an effective ministry. The world is so much bigger than I ever imagined! I am so thankful for everyone who has let me be apart of their lives. Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment