Monday, October 4, 2010

Korean Cooking! (Attempt #1)

Let us talk food! Again!

So many of you know how much I love to cook! Cooking is a big part of how I relieve stress (though sometimes it adds to it!) because it allows me to be creative, it allows me to try something new, and most importantly it allows me to eat! I have been very excited to begin cooking Korean food because there are many things here that I like that I have never really made or seen made back home.

My first attempt with Korean Cooking was made possible by this wonderful Korean woman named Maangchi who lives in New York and has an outstanding step-by-step cooking website that breaks everything down. She also has videos of most of her recipes. She was even featured on the Korean National News for bring Korean Cooking to the US - OK, I know I sound a little obsessed, but this lady is great and she is so funny! If you are interested I posted a link to her website on my blog, or just click her name above!

The first thing I made is called 찐빵 만두 (Jjinppang mandu), which is basically a steamed pork bun. The outside is a spongy, fluffy breading made with flour while the inside can be a multitude of things. I went along with the recipes filling and stayed traditional. Pork, sesame oil, carrots, mushrooms, onions, and chili peppers however, I imagine you could put just about anything inside these suckers. They take some time but are really simple and if I can make them here with my limited kitchen resources, you can surely do it. The only difficult thing may be the steaming part, but really all you need to so is fill a huge pot with a little water and put a metal rack or colander inside. 



I don't know why I am blogging this other than the fact that I am super proud of myself for adding a Korean dish to my repertoire. 


UPDATE:  After making this amazing dish and then writing about it, I decided to use my brand-new mandolin slicer to make potato chips. In the process of doing this I sliced off the front of my index finger! I mean this thing bled all night and the next day. Needless to say I am now on painkillers, with a stitch, and no fingerprint but yeah for cooking!

1 comment:

  1. ouch! Trevan, sorry about the finger. It will probably heal fine but it's so inconvenient to have a cut on your finger (done it many times over the years). Good job on the cooking. Very impressive. Hope it tasted as good as it looks. Keep blogging; it's great to hear your "voice".
    R

    ReplyDelete